Enhance core English skills (reading, writing, recitation, grammar, learning through stories, theatrical skills, facts etc).

banner image

Monday, June 21, 2021

What are Coordinating and Subordinating conjunctions?

 Coordinating Conjunctions Vs Subordinating Conjunctions 



As we know that a conjunction  is a word used to join words, group of words or sentences. 

Let's know about its two kinds, Coordinating Conjunctions & Subordinating Conjunctions.

Coordinating conjunctions.

What is a coordinating conjunction?

It is used to join two independent  statements or two statements of equal rank or importance. It is of four types:

1. Conjunctions that merely add one statement or fact to another.

  And, both---and, as well as, no less than, not only---but also etc:

  And:

. The weather was fine and the sea was calm

   
Both---- and:

She is both intelligent and hardworking.

As well as:

The captain as well as the crew has arrived.

No less than:

He no less than his brother is guilty.

Not only --- but also:

She was given not only a merit certificate but also a handsome scholarship.

2) Conjunctions that express opposition or contrast between two statements.

  But, still, nevertheless, whereas, while, only etc. are its examples.

But:

He is poor but honest.

Still, yet:

Mr. Oberai is quite rich, still he is not contented.

Mr. Oberai is quite rich, yet he is not satisfied.

Nevertheless:

I was very tired;nevertheless , I continued the work.

Whereas/while:

Rice needs plenty of water whereas( or while ) cotton needs black soil.

Only:

I could come, only I am busy.

3) Conjunctions that express a choice between two alternatives,

  Or, otherwise, else, either---- or,  neither---nor are its common examples.

Or:

You must apologise , or you will be suspended.

Either---or:

We can either walk or take a bus.

Neither---nor:

He is neither lazy nor careless.

Otherwise, else:

Hurry up otherwise( or else) you will be late to school.

4) Conjunctions by which one statement or fact is inferred from another.

For, so, therefore are its common examples

For:

She will rise in life for she is sincere and hardworking.

So/therefore:

We missed the bus so ( or therefore) we took a taxi.


Subordinating Conjunctions

What are subordinating conjunctions?

A  conjunction used to join two statements, one of which is dependent on the other is called a subordinating conjunction.

Ex. We continued to work although we were getting late.( the dark part is subordinating clause as it cannot stand on its own.)

1. Subordinating  Conjunctions introducing noun clauses

 That

Ex. She said that her mother had helped her a lot with her studies.

 If/Whether

He asked me if I had sufficient food to eat.

They wanted to know whether I could accept the proposal.

2.Subordinating Conjunctions introducing adverb clauses

 Time: when, wherever, before, after, till, since, as soon as , while, as etc.

  We feel thrilled when our team win the cricket match.

 Please give her my message whenever you see her.

I entered the room after they had left.

Mother asked me to wait till she returned.

He has not sent me any message since he left.

Turn off the gas as soon as water starts boiling.

She checked  the accounts while I had a nap.

I came across an old friend as I was walking to the market.

Place: where, wherever

She found her purse where she had left it in the room.

Cause/reason: because, since, as

He did not go to school yesterday because he was sick.

Since he had not paid the bill, water supply to his house was disconnected.

She could not reach the school in time as her bicycle got punctured.

Purpose: so that, that, lest

I stayed back home so that I could look after my sick mother.

We eat  that we may live.

 He is wearing a woollen coat lest he should catch cold.

Result or consequences: so--- that,  such--- that

He spoke so fast that  I could not understand him.

There was such a loud noise that I could not have even a wink of sleep.

Condition: if/unless

You will be given a fabulous prize if your result is satisfactory.

You will not be allowed to enter unless you have an invitation card.

Concession or contrast: though, although---yet, even if, even though

She is humble though she is rich.

Although he lost heavily yet he did not lose his heart

I shall not betray my country even if I have to sacrifice my life.

Comparison: as---as, than

She is as pretty as her mother.

Lily  is taller than her sister.

Manner: as, as if

They acted as they had been advised.

She behaved as if she were angry.

Some more conjunctions used in pairs:

Scarcely( hardly)---when

She had hardly recovered from Dengue when she met with an accident.

No sooner--- than

No sooner did I begin my work than the telephone bell rang.



.



Share:

1 comment:

Featured Posts

                        THE   INTERJECTION What Are INTERJECTIONS? *A part of speech *Some expressions showing strong feelings.(exclamations...